JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

is it against the law in virginia to use cell phone spyware

is it against the law in virginia to use cell phone spyware to catch a cheating spouse if I bought the phones?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Yes, it can be against the law. Criminal penalties can include imprisonment for one to five years or, at the discretion of a jury or judge, jail for up to 12 months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both. Va. Legis. 579.

A separate civil cause of action is authorized by statute for $100 per day of violation or $1,000, whichever is greater. Va. Code Ann. § 19.2-69.

Punitive damages, attorney fees, and litigation costs can be recovered under the statute as well. Va. Code Ann. § 19.2-69.

Depending upon the facts, a person could also be separately criminally charged with stalking.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.