Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

can you plea no contest to a leaving the scene accident in

Customer Question

can you plea no contest to a leaving the scene accident in Nebraska with a cdl license in Texas?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow ups and my replies because I am typing out my answer, or taking a quick break.

The answer is yes. Nolo contendere may be available as a plea deal for most intents and purposes, it counts as a guilty plea and is seen as such for CDL purposes. Ergo, this is not much different than a guilty plea. Nolo contendere simply implies that while you disagree with the charge, you "dno not wish to contend it."

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated. You can always link to my profile for another question at a later time:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-elyJD/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this is the first time with this type of ticket what does that mean for my driving license

Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
What exactly are you charged with? Simply leaving the scene of the accident? Or something else? While utilizing your CDL?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i was unaware that i had swiped another vehicle at a hotel down the road from where i dicided to stay, the first hotel did not have ample truck parking for my truck like they had assured me

Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
This may be considered a major disqualifying charge. You may have issues with your CLD is convicted of it. A second conviction of a major disqualifying offense will result in a lifetime CDL disqualification. Ergo, I strongly recommend an attorney to be retained to represent you - now is not the time not to have counsel. This may help to reduce your charge or help resolve it by a plea bargain, etc.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what will be the fine i will pay
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry, but that I cannot say. There are local court costs that augment the fine overall, so while I can say that this would be at least likely $250, it is likely to be more.

Also, you do not want to simply plead guilty. That is the last thing you want to do. If you plead no contest on leaving the scene, you may be disqualified for a period one year, three years if hauling HAZMAT. Second conviction would mean a ban for life.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can you recommend an attorney that i can talk to, and what will be the cost of this attorney and what are chances of this citation being removed
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

I cannot speak for the chances, I am afraid. It really depends on a variety of factors that no one can predict. As for referral, please see here...

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=NE

The attorneys are vetted and qualified, and the service is free.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what do you mean by - disqualifed for a period of one year- if i plead no contest does that mean that i can still drive with my cdl, but can not get another cittaion or moving citation, and i do have haz mat
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
No... I mean that if you plead nolo contendere, your CDL may be disqualified for one year, and three years if it is a HAZMAT haul.

http://www.worktruckonline.com/Channel/Safety-Accident-Management/Article/Story/2008/07/Have-Traffic-Violations-Disqualified-Your-CDL-Driver-s-.aspx

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you mean after the hearing at court if no contest i will not be able to drive for one year
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Correct - very likely! Please do not just plead nolo contendere and retain counsel ASAP.