Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

What is te statute of limitations on a charge of second deg.

What is te statute of limitations on a charge of second deg. rape when victim cannot be found
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

Second-degree rape in NC is considered a Class C felony, per Article 7A. Felonies in NC have no statute of limitations.

However, NC does have a "speedy trial" requirement. But, there is no objective date - the Court considers this on a variety of elements, one of which is whether or not the alleged victim is present. The Defendant's attorney can try to drop the case via a motion based on speedy trial.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated. You can always link to my profile for another question at a later time: