Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

I was convicted of domestic violence in a misdemeanor court.

I was convicted of domestic violence in a misdemeanor court. The reason it was domestic ,because the person had spent a couple of nights at my home. No weapons where involved. The altracation took place in a business parking lot.This happend over twelve years ago. I would like to get the charge espounged so I can buy a gun legally. Given this small amountof info,can this be done?

Dear JACUSTOMER - Unfortunately North Carolina is one of the few states that have no expungement law so you cannot obtain an expungement for any crime in NC. The only option is to apply for a pardon from the Governor of the state and I have supplied the website below for your convenience.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think their is a law back in 1964 or 1965 that explains this conviction?
I don't have access to the laws from 50 years ago but regardless of what the law was then there is no provision now for expungement in the NC statutes.