Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

I was at the tennessee airport and the TSA found a small pipe

I was at the tennessee airport and the TSA found a small pipe in the outside pocket of my CHECKED luggage and the police gave me a misdemeanor and a court date in two weeks.
I have never had an arrest before. What should I expect to happen?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Did you give any statements to the cops?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was at the gate and 2 police officers called out Rhonda Summers which is not my name but after I a minute I went to them and said I was Rhonda Sellers and the officer said "that's probably the name. They just must have read the name on the luggage tag wrong" Then he said they had found drug paraphernalia in my suitcase. I just looked at them and they said I would have to go with them. I went to an office and they had a small pipe in a bag and asked me if I it was mine and I said " I've seen it before" They asked if I had ever been arrested and then called in to get information on me. Search my persons and to carry ons and then wrote out the citation and gave me a court date to be photographed followed by a court time. They had gotten the airline to handle getting me on another flight. When officer told me several times to make sure I made it to court. This is what the citation that I signed said:

"TSA Agent noticed what appeared to be drug paraphernalia in a passengers suitcase. Passenger's name was on the bag and she was located at Delta Gate B5. The passenger was identified by the above named defendant. The defendant admitted to ownership of the suitcase and claimed to know of the small pipe found in the suitcase. Advised the defendant of the violation."

FYI. I never saw the suitcase to identify it. I told them that I recognized the pipe but did not say it was mine.

DearCustomer- At this point you need to keep quiet and not make any statements to anyone. You should ask the court to appoint an attorney if you cannot afford one. When you go to court you should plead not guilty and allow your attorney to talk to the prosecutor and the judge to see what can be worked out. If this is your first offense I would imagine that the worst you would receive would be probation and a fine but I cannot predict the out come of any court case. Talking to cops is always a bad idea so do not make any statements to anyone but an attorney. I understand that what you said was that you had seen it before but cops tend to stretch the truth and it will be your word against theirs as to what you said.

In any event it is the government's duty to prove that the pipe was yours and your attorney can review all the facts and make certain your rights are protected and that you get out of this with the least possible damage.