JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

What are the consequences for a public urination charge in

What are the consequences for a public urination charge in Glassboro, New Jersey?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

It's a violation of the criminal laws of Glassboro. Ordinance 354-16.

In terms of penalty: Violations and penalties; disposition of fees. (354-27) “Each and every person violating any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, forfeit and pay a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000 or by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or by serving a period of 90 days of community service, or both, in the discretion of the court.”

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-jb-umphrey/. Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the www.justanswer.com homepage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. What exactly does this charge entail though? Will I be a registered sex offender? Will my parents find out? Will this show up on background checks when I am looking for internships or future jobs? Will this go on my permanent record? Im kind of freaking out right now and I hope you can help me out in clarifying these questions.
Criminal citations are a public record. It's possible that anyone can find out about the charge. It can show up on employment background checks. If that's a concern, then hire a local attorney to accompany you to court to try and negotiate a plea agreement with the local prosecutor which results in a non-public disposition of the case.

A conviction will not result in being listed on the sex offender list.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I will have to have a court date?
You will have to read the instructions on the paperwork you received.

If a person wants to contest the allegations or try to work out a deal, yes, one has to go to court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When will I receive the paperwork explaining that information?
If you received a ticket, read the ticket.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not get a ticket. What should I do should I call the police station and see whats going on or should I wait it out and expect some type of ticket or paperwork in the mail ?
If you did not get a ticket, then what happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was walking back from a party and went to the bathroom behind a bush. Next thing I knew, the cops were interrogating me and asking me where I lived and where I was from. I was slightly intoxicated but I do not think I was charged for that. I woke up this morning and my roommate told me I was complaining about a cop stopping me for peeing in public so I started researching and seeing what exactly the consequences were, but I do not have a ticket from the incident.
If you were not arrested and if you were not issued a ticket, then don't worry about it. The cop gave you a warning.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.