Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

I have been accused and charged with a felony in Colorado - level 3. I was detained in Ne

I have been accused and charged with a felony in Colorado - level 3. I was detained in New Mexico and posted bond there. I now have to travel to Colorado to be arrainded there and post bond there also -- how do I check to find out if a governor's warrant has been issued from Colorado and then to New Mexico to perfect extradition. I am wanting to appear in Colorado court to be arrainded and not be re-arrested in New Mexico and extradited to Colorado. How do I find out what is going on with this to avoid being arrested again.

Now that the warrant was served on you, the clerk of the court in the county in Colorado in which the prosecution is being commenced should be setting a court date for the case.

At the same time, the prosecuting attorney in that county will be responsible for obtaining the governor's warrant. Meaning, if your attorney contacts the office of the prosecutor, they should be able to provide the progress on obtaining the governor's warrant.

If the attorney contacts the prosecutors office, they can also check on forgoing the governor's warrant and simply having you appear in court. As I suggested above, the clerk should be establishing a court date. Instead of proceeding on the governor's warrant, you, or your attorney, could simply appear in court in Colorado and proceed with the prosecution.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anyway to find out if the warrant that is initiated in Colorado -- from that prosecutor -- has made its way to the New Mexico governor for their signature and execution thereof? It is my understanding that the governor's warrant has to go through Colorado governor and then to New Mexico governor for execution. If that is correct, is how can I find out if New Mexico governor has already executed it?

The sheriff's office is responsible for serving warrants. Your attorney can contact the local sheriff's office to see if they have received a governor's warrant for service.