JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

i have an outstanding warrant (violation of misdeamenor probation)

i have an outstanding warrant (violation of misdeamenor probation) which is keeping me from getting my social security benefits, the warrant is 5 and a half years old from tennesee i live in fla they will not extradite me because its a misdemeanor could an attorney get the warrant dismissed
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. Please clarify: what's the nature of the probation violation(s)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was on probation for simple possesion of marijana the violation was for failure to report and pay fines
Thank you.

When is the balance of the fines going to be paid in full?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i can pay them anytime
Thank you. Your attorney will be in a far stronger position to petition the court for termination of probation and revocation of the warrant when the outstanding fines are paid off in full.

So, the answer to your question is, yes, an attorney that's local to the court could file a motion/petition for termination of probation once all other conditions have been satisfied.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is the fact that the warrant is 5 years old a consideration
The age of the warrant is part of a consideration. The fact that you're out of state and won't be returning is a far bigger consideration. Also, the fact that you're not a threat to yourself or don't present a public safety risk.