JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I am being charged with telephone harassment. The call was

I am being charged with telephone harassment. The call was made seven months ago and now the person is filing charges. I have never been in trouble before. This was an argument and I sent several text messages with bad language. I have zero contact with this woman during the seven months. Will I go to jail for this? What is the likely outcome/penalty?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Please clarify: were there threats of physical harm?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There were no threats of physical harm. She did owe me money and I stated in the texts that I would come to her place of business to get my money but nothing that said "I'm going to do this or that to you".... Just a lot of vulgar language mainly.
Thank you.

Were you told/asked to stop and continued with the calls anyway?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
At one point she did say to please stop in a text message and I I sent more on that day. I stopped after a few more messages and have not contacted her since.
Thank you. From the facts that you've described, any sentence would be probation only. No jail. Perhaps some community service and an order to no longer have contact with the person while on probation.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.