Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

i got arrested for petit larceny, should i have not said anything

Customer Question

i got arrested for petit larceny, should i have not said anything to the police until i had a lawyer present? i told them a lot of info and now i'm thinking i shouldn't have. also, they confiscated my entire supply of gift cards that i have been accumulating over the last 5 years or so (they never expire) that were in my car and not even related to my larceny at the one store that i stole from. Is that normal for them to confiscate items of mine? They also took a large bag full of clothing that i was going to return to a different store altogether and confiscated that as evidence. I am so angry and just want some answers.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - You should never, ever talk to the police without a lawyer present. You always have the right to remain silent and you should do just that regardless if whether anyone has read your rights or not. At this point it is too late to undo whatever you said so you will need to get a lawyer to look over the case and see if there was any police misconduct that may be a cause to have your statements thrown out. If you can't afford a lawyer the court will appoint counsel. As for confiscating the property, that is permissible if there is some reason to believe that it is evidence that could be used in a crime. Obviously any stolen goods that you were intending to return would be evidence and even though the gift cards may not have been stolen it would be reasonable to suspect that they were if there were an unusual number present. So now the best suggestion I can make is to say nothing else to the cops and request that a lawyer be appointed to your case.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not want my husband to know anything about this petit larceny thing. how much approx. will it be to retain a lawyer to help me thru this?

Lawyers in different areas charge different fees and it is always up to the individual lawyer. My guess is that the minimum any lawyer would want as a retainer would be $2500-3000 but that is simply a guess. My suggestion, if you want to hire your own attorney is to contact the Bar Association for a referral. I have provided their website below for your convenience.