JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I may have scratched a car in a parking lot today. I didnt

I may have scratched a car in a parking lot today. I didn't notice any damage until I got to my next stop. I have a SUV and didn't hear anything. I have some scratches on my car which I initally thought might have come from a cart. What should I do now, I am worried that the cops are going to come and get me. I live in Wisconsin
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. At this juncture, there is nothing that you can do. Hopefully, no news is good news.

If the police do contact you, you have the constitutional right to remain silent and to politely decline to answer their questions. This 27-minute video explains the important of not answer officer questions when you may be suspected of a crime. You can watch it here:

Otherwise, you can be arrangements, if you want, to have your car repaired.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been looking at the internet and it says that they can come arrest me if it was reported and someone took my license Would they have been here already
Not necessarily. It's possible that no police report has been filed (yet) or the department could be short on manpower, or they won't do anything until Monday. There are a lot of unpredictable variables. If one has a garage, it's a good thing to keep the auto parked in the locked/closed garage until any repairs are made. Police enter the locked garage without a warrant.