TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law

Consequences of missing a probation appointment

Customer Question

If I missed my probation appointment and have been trying to call and left messages, can I be in trouble? How do I find out if I am?

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

What kind of probation? From jail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Felony probation for vandalism and its the first time. I missed my appointment. She still hasn't called and West Tennessee penitentary I haven't done anything wrong in over a year. Please give me some good advice.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again.
Well, it's possible that this violation of your probation could land you back in jail, but that's really up to the probation officer. If you provide a reasonable explanation for why you missed the appointment, and you have no record of prior missed appointments, then it's possible that the probation officer will not do anything. I would just make sure that you have a good reason for missing the appointment. At this point, all you can do is explain yourself and hope that she has some sympathy.

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shouldn't my probation officer have called me and let me know if i missed my appointment? I've left her messages and tried calling. Her phone has been off. She always has a sign on her door saying come back next week. I don't think that's right for her to not return my calls. She has all my numbers. How would I find out if I got violated?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again.
You already know that you missed your appointment, so there is no reason for her to call you to tell you that you missed it. You also already know that missing the appointment is a violation of your probation, so there is no need to call you for that. The real issue at this point is what she plans to do about it. At this point, I would continue to call until I hear back, or until the next appointment. It's quite possible that she won't do anything about the missed appointment, and that is why she hasn't returned your calls yet. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that if she were going to do something to you, you would have already found out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you very much. What do you think the chances are on me going to jail. She hasn't tried contacting me period. I am really nervous about it and her phone was off Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and I kept leaving messages asking her to call me and let me know what day and time my appointment was and she never did.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again.
I'd just be making it up if I gave you percentages. It entirely depends on the probation officer, and whether or not she wants to do anything about the missed appointment. She could send you back, give you a warning, or do nothing at all. It just depends on how much of a hard *ss she is.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she is actually not a hard *ss and is easy to work with. I am just nervous cuz I messed up probation before. But I've done good for over a year now so I might get lucky. I really appreciate the advice.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
That's great that she's not too tough. At this point, all you can do is keep calling, and wait to see what happens. Since she's nice, and since you haven't heard anything yet, I wouldn't get too worried at this point. My guess is that she will let it slide this time.