Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

1 police officer came knocking at my door last night. I didnt

Customer Question

1 police officer came knocking at my door last night. I didnt answer and no card was left. I think my ex husband might have called them. My ex moved and didnt tell me where he moved to. I happen to see him and saw where he drove to and he text me to stop stalking him. He owes me back support and he also has "community property" which is ours ( that has not yet been divided) its a motorhome at the womens house he is staying at.. needless to say thats not ok with me, since he had an affair with her. Would the police come to my house to talk to me if he called them? I didnt commit any crime? He has been calling the police on me constantly, he even at one point said I threatned him with a gun.. untrue. I dont even own one. I do not want to call the police back, Im just tired of all the harrassment, I know he is trying to build a case to not have to pay me alimony. Any suggestions? I guess my biggest question would be, would the police come to my house just if he called and said I was by his home, not on the property, just in the street, looking at OUR community property? The police in this small town have nothing better to do, but harrass people, will they be back if I didnt answer?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question.

Would the police come to my house to talk to me if he called them? I didnt commit any crime?
If he reported criminal conduct (whether it happened or not), the police would likely come out to talk to you about it. However, the police could have been there about any number of things and you won't really know until you talk to them. That said, if you get the impression that they're investigating you for a crime, whether one was committed or not, you will want to have your attorney present during any such discussion.

He has been calling the police on me constantly, he even at one point said I threatned him with a gun.. untrue. I dont even own one.
If he's filing false police reports, that could provide a basis for criminal charges and you may wish to discuss his false filings with law enforcement or the prosecutor's office. That said, you should have your attorney present since you think he's accused you of a crime.

I guess my biggest question would be, would the police come to my house just if he called and said I was by his home, not on the property, just in the street, looking at OUR community property?
They could. Such behavior could potentially be interpreted as harassment or stalking if he lives in the home and if you have been going to it, passing it by it, etc. regularly.

The police in this small town have nothing better to do, but harrass people, will they be back if I didnt answer?

It's possible but it depends on what the call was about. That said, if you think they were there to question you about an alleged crime, there's a significant chance they'll be back. If they return, you will want to exercise your right to an attorney and have your attorney present for anything you say. A suspect doesn't have to talk to officers without her attorney present and it's generally unwise to do so.

Please use Reply to let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the I am not credited for unaccepted answers. Even if this was not what you were hoping to hear, it is a truthful answer and I hope that you now feel confident in your knowledge of the law. Please remember to click accept once you are finished. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only other tihing I can think of is I blocked him in his car. A neighbor saw and could have called the police, and said there was reckless driving? Would they come to my home to speak about that? Its just so stupid, at what point do they see he is just being a pest. Best one, he walked into the police dept, asked first "if someone has a domestic violence charge against them do I still have to pay support?" Then decided I came over and hit him. Obviously that didnt go over well. HA! I can not afford any attorneys.
Yes. They could visit you to speak to you about blocking his car. Depending on exactly what you did, that could potentially provide a basis for criminal charges as well, but it would depend on what was done, what was said, how it happened, etc. If the police visit to question you, you can't afford not to have an attorney. That said, an individual can always refuse to say anything. Then, if officers arrest her and if she's charged, she can ask the court to appoint an attorney for her and the court can do so if she qualifies. In any case, it's important to understand that anything said to officers can potentially be harmful later.

Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a feeling they just were probly saying dont bother him, and they wont be back... I hope. Crossing my fingers. im getting married on saturday and dont need any problems. Thanks.
I'm glad I could provide some valuable information. Good luck with the situation and congratulations on your pending marriage!

Just a little side note, as some people aren't aware of this.
An individual cannot remarry until a divorce is finalized. You didn't mention having been divorced, but you did refer to the man as your ex-husband. I just wanted to add this little bit of information in case it was relevant, as the hostilities seem very fresh and you mentioned that he was trying to avoid alimony payments. Therefore, if you've not yet finalized your divorce, that would create major problems with remarrying.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im divorced as of March 2, Judge biforcated the status. But Im doing a "commitment ceremony" NEVER getting married again! :( married 30yrs all to a cheating husband!

I understand. I'm sorry you had to go through that! 30 years is a very long time and that must have been very, very painful. Congratulations on your new relationship and best wishes for what I hope to be a very happy future!