J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.
15393114

i want to know if you are a felony, can you live in the same

i want to know if you are a felony, can you live in the same house as somebody that owns guns. somebody told me he can not live in the house because there are guns and they have to get rid of them.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

The federal ban on felon possession has been interpreted to apply to any firearm that the prohibited person has access to.

J.Hazelbaker :

If the firearms are in the house and the person convicted of a felony has access (i.e. can put their hands on them), then there is a violation and the felon can be charged.

J.Hazelbaker :

However, if the firearms are in a private area of the home (e.g. another person's room) and in a locked gun safe where the prohibited person does not have the combination or a key, then there would not be possession.

J.Hazelbaker :

So, gun safe with secret lock and the convicted person can reside.

J.Hazelbaker :

However, this does not mean that later case law won't be developed that would make even that limited access unlawful.

J.Hazelbaker :

So, while the safe is o.k. for now, the only certainty is to move the firearms offsite.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

Customer:

thank you