JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

How can I file a formal complaint against a local police department?

How can I file a formal complaint against a local police department? The town I live in is constantly setting up road blocks. A person cannot even go out on a Friday night without being stopped. Also, my sons ages 21 and 23, are stopped quite often for no other reason than they are driving while being young men. Tonight, my son and two friends went out to a local bar. One of the men was a designated driver, but they were in my son's car. They came up on a road block and the dd who is not from this area asked my son what he should do. They turned before they got to the checkpoint only to be chased down by two cars. The officers drew weapons, made them all get out of the car, cuffed them, and gave a breathalizer test to the driver. My son called me and my husband to come get him, his friend, and his car. They arrested the dd, on the premise that he was "evading". I asked the officer what exactly he was evading and she just repeated to me that the charge was "evading". Then they informed me that they were going to impound my son's car. We have had problems with this department and our kids since they were old enough to drive. Do I have any recourse in this matter?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your family's experience. What you can do is contact the local ACLU office and request their assistance in pursuing complaints against the police department's practices. Their contact information (you'll have to submit your request in writing) is:

Legal Committee
ACLU of Alabama XXXXX Suite 910
Montgomery, AL 36104

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My husband does not like the ACLU- for political reasons, I assume.
Very well. Then one can directly go to the police department and file a complaint with the internal affairs division of the police department.