Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

Can a felon own a black powder gun

Can a felon own a black powder gun
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark for future questions.

Neither federal law nor Oklahoma state law forbids felons from owning black powder weapons.

Under the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, antique firearms and replicas are largely exempted.

Antique firearms are defined as:

- any firearm with a frame or receiver manufactured in or before 1898 regardless of ignition system, or

- any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system, and

- any replica of an antique firearm if the replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire ammunition, or uses fixed ammunition, which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels or commercial trade, any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition.

As long as your black power firearm qualifies as above, it is legal for a felon to possess it.

If you require more information, I will be happy to follow up with you. In the meantime, please remember to click Accept so that I get credit for my time assisting you. If my answer has been especially helpful, please also consider a suitable BONUS.

And remember, I want you satisfied, so if I can help you further, please ask so that you can provide Positive Feedback once we've addressed your legal question to your satisfaction.