CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  8+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

what if the officer is parked illegally and is deliberly watching

what if the officer is parked illegally and is deliberly watching for persons breaking the law.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

The duty of a police officer, is to catch someone breaking the law. It does not matter if they are illegally parked, as they want to avoid being detected, so they can catch someone doing something illegal. As such, there is nothing wrong with the officer no being visible and being in a spot, to catch someone.

CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience: 8+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is still legal if they are breaking the law themselves
What are they doing that is illegal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are breaking the state parking law
If they were parked illegally, it would not be a defense to the issuance of a citation against the driver of a motor vehicle. It is not an issue like in a criminal case where the officer does something illegal, which leads to the discovery of evidence, which is suppressed. The officer does have a right to park in a position to detect/catch violators and there is no law that requires the officer to be parked legally, to do so. If anything, you can report this to the police station and have them look into the conduct of the officer, if they are risk to the safety of other drivers, based upon where they are parked.
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty