JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

My neighbors domestic help was arrested for reckless driving

My neighbor's domestic help was arrested for reckless driving several years ago. She was told by the judge that this offense would be expunged from her record upon completion of a series of classes. She completed all the classes but the offense has not been removed from her record. She has since attended and completed a trade school but has been unable to find work in her new skill because of the record. I have offered to help her with the legal paperwork to appeal to the court to have this offense removed. What documents need to be filed to start this process?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of this experience. Please clarify: what happened when she went back to the courthouse that handled her case to review her file and see why the case was not expunged?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delayed response. I had to wait until I could contact her (Samantha) again.

Samantha said that she attended and completed Wellness Court for one year here in Anchorage upon the recommendation of the court official Kathy Easter. She was then told y the court clerk that "I know that (Cathy Easter) told a lot of people that. Almost always the record is never expunged."
In Alaska, one can only have your records sealed if you can show that, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the criminal charge(s) resulted from mistaken identity or a false accusation.

If this can be shown, then this is the application package that gets filled out to have one's criminal record sealed in Alaska:

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied.