LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

My husband almost 7 years ago was shot now he is paralyzed

My husband almost 7 years ago was shot now he is paralyzed and no one was ever arrested. What if still possible can we do
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your husband's situation.

Can you please be a bit more specific about what it is you are asking about. Is it still possible to do what?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do they ever stop investigating the case? Can we file a civil suit against the person who did it or do they have to convict someone of the crime?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

The police do eventually stop active investigations when they hit a brick wall. The can re-open the case if they get additional information which leads toward a suspect or provides sufficient evidence to allow the prosecutor to file criminal charges against someone.

No, it is not necessary that someone be convicted, or even charged, in order for the victim to be able to sue them. However, it is really a necessity that you know the identity of the person who injured your husband---and if you don't know who did it, there is no one that can be sued civilly.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,