lwpat
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
15417118

My daughter lives out of state. I just found out that she

My daughter lives out of state. I just found out that she was given a ticket for Posession of under 35 grams of Marijuanna in July of 2010. She did not go to court and recieved a failure to appear warrant. She wants to move back home but is afraid that she will be arrested and will lose her daughter in the process. How can I help her clear this up?
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

The courts do not look favorably on someone that does not appear. Had she appeared, it would be likley that she could get probation and no jail time. Now it is highly likely that there will be at least some jail time but a good criminal attorney may be able to get monitored house arrest for her, especially if this is her first offense. This will never go away and only get worse with time. She will be arrested in the other state if she is stopped and checked. Best option is to retain a local criminal attorney and let him see what he can negotiate.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should she come back to Missouri and turn herself in? Will they look more favorably on her if she does?

Yes and yes.