J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.
15393114

How does one get a NYS certificate of good standing?Does

How does one get a NYS certificate of good standing?
Does it apply to felonies?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

A NY Certificate of Good Standing applies to business entities registered under New York law to indicate whether they are a valid legal entity or not.

J.Hazelbaker :

They are not for individuals.

J.Hazelbaker :

Some states have an application process for individuals who have been convicted of a crime to restore civil rights (e.g. voting).

J.Hazelbaker :

New York is not one of those states.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

Customer:

I know a NY State resident who got one. Maybe I am not calling it by the right name. You are in Ohio. I specifically asked for NY Legal Aid to answer because they would be the most knowledgable. Please look further.

J.Hazelbaker :

I will opt out so another attorney can help you.

J.Hazelbaker :

Good luck.

J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

You're looking for a Certificate of Good Conduct, and you apply to the NYS Dept. of Parole for it. You can find out the details about it, what it does and what it doesn't offer you and where to get it by reading this article. The Legal Aid Society gives some practical information about it here.