Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I recently attempted to purchase a firearm, but was denied

Customer Question

I recently attempted to purchase a firearm, but was denied because of the background check. Turns out I was denied because, a couple years ago, I voluntarily admitted myself to a mental institution. My research shows that only being involuntarily committed to a mental institution will bar someone from purchasing a firearm. How do I go about getting my right to bear arms reinstated?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

Customer: Hi
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

I suggest you will need to file an Appeal and then you can explain that you voluntarily committed yourself for evaluation.

Here is a link for the document to file

I suggest that you will want to track down any and all documents from the hospital where you were evaluated to show and/or attach to the Appeal

If you have further questions, you may post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a JA Subscription, Please ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I get credit for my time and information. Thank you