Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Customer Question

I intend to install covert audio and video surveillance systems at my residence in New Mexico. What are the requirements of notice thereof as to signage? Is a single notice at the gate sufficient, such as "These premises subject to covert audio/surveillance", to serve notice competent to the entirety of the property (grounds as well as all structures erected thereon)? How large must the sign itself be? How large must the letters on the sign be? Is it sufficient that the notice be given only in English? Is the adequacy of notice impaired by nearby visual distractions such as a Playboy centerfold? Need the notice be illuminated so as to be prominent if encountered at night? My intent is that the notice be as easily overlooked as possible yet legally adequate. I do not solicit advice as to tactics in achieving this object yet desire to know if there are material considerations not enumerated supra.

The property is possessed of a postern gate accessible only by entry along a ditch bank which is posted "No trespassing" yet subject to a limited easement, somewhat vaguely worded, to the effect that entry is allowed to other users of said ditch (and their agents) in connection with irrigation operations. Is notice at that entry required as well to other parties (i.e. trespassers)?

Finally, is the language of the example sufficient, or must I add words such as "Entry constitutes consent"?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't mind waiting for three months if you don't, but I think the problem is that I have requested too much ancilliary detail. Let's cancel and I will repost something short and to the point like "What are the notice requirements for covert residential surveillance in NM?"
In other words, let the expert delineate the gravamina and supply such ancillary detail as may be available. As it stands it appears to ask for a brief rather than an answer.