Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

The car was stolen from our parking spot. My husand was the

Customer Question

The car was stolen from our parking spot. My husand was the last persondriving and left the keys in the car . the car was used to commit grand larceny. Recently the dectectuve has ben calling and saying he must come speak with her in order to close the case. The detective that was on the case after having a few questions and then spoke to his father and my brother and said that he would be arrested. I am concerned that she's trying to mislead him into admitting guilt when he is innocent. Should I go down and speak to her or am I even required to by law?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is no law that requires either of you to speak to the police. There is also no law that says you have to go down to the station - if they really want to talk to you, they can knock on your front door, or they can even arrest you and take you down there. Of course, even in that case, you have a right not to talk to them. If the detective believes that your husband is involved, I guarantee that her intent is to get him to admit it. It's up to you whether to go - you don't have to, most criminal lawyers will tell you not to, and, if you do want to talk to them, you have a right to take a lawyer with you. Many people think they can talk their way out of trouble, and most of them just make it worse. Taking a lawyer along, if you want to try to straighten out it, will probably help. But, again, you can refuse to go.