JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I need to transfer probation from Colorado/Arkansas to Maryland.

Customer Question

I need to transfer probation from Colorado/Arkansas to Maryland. Convicted 2010 in Colorado. Used interstate probation transfer from Colorado to Arkansas. Got a job and an apartment in Maryland two months ago and have been working here and paying bills. Completed all court-ordered fines/community service/etc. Arkansas probation was giving me 45-day travel passes until my probation ends in October 2012. Now Colorado says that Arkansas can't do that and that I have to move back to Arkansas. This will likely cause me to lose the job it took me 1.5 years to find and cause extreme financial hardship. Any help would be greatly appreciated. --Rob
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Please clarify: have you asked Colorado (state of conviction) to transfer your probation to Maryland?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not. Was reporting in Arkansas and they are the ones who were allowing me to live and work in Maryland. They are telling me it would take 45 days to effect a transfer to Maryland, during which time I could not live here. Since I'm already here, that's obviously not a desirable option. If I had to, I could probably convince my boss to let me work from Arkansas for a short spell (maybe two weeks max) but am worried the transfer would either take longer than that or be denied by Maryland.
Thank you. I think the reason why Colorado is raising a stink is because, for all practical purposes, you are no longer in Arkansas and, thus, Arkansas should no longer have oversight of you.

Rather, you should be asking Colorado to transfer your probation to Maryland.

There should be no problems with this and there should be no need for you to move back to Arkansas.

Simply ask the Colorado to transfer your probation to Maryland.

You can ask Melanie Brock (in Maryland) if you run into bumps. Her contact information is at:

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied with your information needs. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.