Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West

Ok so today I tried to receive a package sent to my house via

Ok so today I tried to receive a package sent to my house via FedEx containing 19 ounces of weed. I wasn't home when it arrived, but when i did get home I took the package inside with me. 5 min later undercover state police show up and ask to come in. Of course at this point I'm busted, I told them I've done it before and that I could be an informant of sorts to which they agreed. I am to meet with one of the officers tomorrow and discuss this. Any advice?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

You're definitely doing the right thing by offering to assist the authorities with information to catch the "big fish" of the operation. That's the best way to keep yourself out of jail.

I would highly recommend that you hire a criminal defense attorney in your area to represent you and be with you at the meeting tomorrow if possible.

Also, you should try to reach a deal before you disclose everything you know and get any agreement in writing.

You can't be extremely demanding because they can just charge you and either let you sit in jail or post bail and await trial. Thus, you definitely want to cooperate, but you need to be given some assurance that it's worth your agreement to assist with bringing the operation down.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I intend on cooperating, but they said my sentencing is based on my cooperation, and that they couldn't cut me a deal, which is what they said today, could tomorrow be different. What sort of ramifications am I looking at if/when I'm charged if I'm cooperative and able to give them a big fish? Keep in mind I am in PA and weed laws are strict.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

The prosecutor/district attorney can offer a plea deal to you in exchange for your testimony and cooperation. They're correct that they can't "promise" you the plea will happen because the decision on this is up to the judge alone. However, if the DA approves a plea agreement and recommends it to the judge, it usually always happens. In my 10 years of practicing, I have never seen the judge reject a plea agreement offered by the DA to a defendant.

I can't tell you what they may offer you, but if you can give them the names of all involved, how the operation works, schedules, etc., and this information results in shutting down the operation, you should be looked on favorably - and hopefully stay out of jail.

That's why it's so important to have an attorney accompany you tomorrow to try and negotiate a deal in exchange for the testimony. Otherwise, you may be giving them all of this information and then they'll forget their promises to you.

Roger, Lawyer
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West