Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

My daughter was recently arrested for Theft by deception from

Customer Question

My daughter was recently arrested for Theft by deception from her employer. The amount was $150. Does she need a lawyer for the court date (March 5). This is her first offense.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark for future questions.

I strongly suggest you get a lawyer. A theft conviction is as bad as a felony and you don't want this on her criminal record. It will greatly limit her employment and education opportunities in the future. With a lawyer, it is possible you can get a resolution if this that keeps this off her record. A lawyer can negotiate with the DA (the judge just accepts the plea) and get this eventually dismissed.

If you require more information, I will be happy to follow up with you. In the meantime, please remember to click Accept so that I get credit for my time assisting you. If my answer has been especially helpful, please also consider a suitable BONUS.

And remember, I want you satisfied, so if I can help you further, please ask so that you can provide Positive Feedback once we've addressed your legal question to your satisfaction.