AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

i just received a summons for uriniation in public. I says

i just received a summons for uriniation in public. I says violation charge LO.3-18. Should i get a lawyer? do i plead guilty? What is the consequnces, is it just a fine?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

Please respond to the following so that I will better be able to respond to your question:
1. In which City, County, and State is the matter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey.
Thanks for clarifying!

I've spent the last several minutes reviewing and researching your question. As you review this answer, please keep in mind that I only get credit for answering your question if you click Accept, so I'd be grateful if you'd do so. You'll still be able to ask follow-up questions using the Reply feature.

Public urination in Morristown is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 or up to 90 days in jail or up to 90 days of community service.
Now, that said, public urination isn't usually punished with jail time, while that is possible. Instead, a fine and or community service is more common for public urination, potentially including probation.
You may wish to retain an attorney, though you are not obligated to do so. Your attorney may be able to negotiate a favorable deal with the prosecution, whereby the charges are actually dropped after a fine is paid and probation is served. It is a good idea to retain an attorney when facing a charge for which a large fine or jail time is possible and you may find that representation may be very affordable.
If an individual pleads guilty or no contest, he will be found guilty. Therefore, if an individual wishes to fight a charge and attempt to field a legal defense, he would plead not guilty. That said, to fight such a charge, it would be important to have legal representation, as many people are not able to defend themselves.

No person shall urinate or defecate on any public street, sidewalk or in any other public place or in any other place open to and used by the public or outdoors on any property. (Ord. No. O-34A-93)

1-5.1 Maximum Penalty.
Any person who shall violate any provision of this Code or other ordinance of the Town, where no specific penalty is provided regarding the section violated, shall, upon conviction thereof, be punishable by one (1) or more of the following: a fine not to exceed two thousand ($2,000.00) dollars or imprisonment for a period not exceeding ninety (90) days or to a period of community service not exceeding ninety (90) days at the discretion of the Judge of the Municipal Court. Where applicable, whenever each such violation is continued or permitted to continue such violations shall constitute separate offenses. (Ord. No. O-7-02; Ord. No. O-9-06)

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I don't get any credit for my time and effort spent answering your question unless you click Accept.

Please use Reply to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!