Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

How to I formally ask for the documents of a criminal case

How to I formally ask for the documents of a criminal case for my son? I have POA for him. He was convicted of manslaughter in DEC 2011 in Riverside CA. He wrote his public defender and told her to release all documents to me and I emailed a request. No answer so I want to make formal request. Who legally “owns” the case documents? What documents can I expect to receive?
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.

The client owns the file. If the public defender will not respond to your requests, you may have no other option than to file an ethics complaint with the state board. I suggest you let the public defender know that is your intention if she will not respond to you and reply to your request. If she still will not cooperate you will have been left with no other choice but to contact the state bar. The place to make complaints with the California State Bar is here

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation/FilingaComplaint.aspx

If you require more information, I will be happy to follow up with you. In the meantime, please remember to click Accept so that I get credit for my time assisting you. If my answer has been especially helpful, please also consider a suitable BONUS.

And remember, I want you satisfied, so if I can help you further, please ask so that you can provide Positive Feedback once we've addressed your legal question to your satisfaction.

Thanks!