Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

What is the law for shooting your guns on your private property

What is the law for shooting your guns on your private property outside the city limits (in the country) in the state of Alabama
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Do you live in residential area?

How large is your property?

What county do you live in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The county is Greene

not sure how large but we are shooting in a large field (over 300 yards) on over 40 ac.

Not a residential, but there are a few houses about a half a mile away.

We have always shot guns out there and today a sheriff showed up and told us to stop shooting , that we were desturbing the peace.... I don't know if thats true, but i just dosent seem correct

Thank you for your follow up.

Can the gunshots be heard by the occupants of the nearby houses?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, if the gun shots can be heard by any of your neighbors, the Sheriff was correct under the law to advise you to stop firing guns, as generally if the gun shots can be heard by any of other residents in the neighboring properties, it can constitute disturbing of the peace.

I would strongly suggest that you do not shoot your guns on this property, because if you do there is a very good chance that the sheriff will be called back and you might be charged with the disturbance of the peace or reckless endangerment if the bullets might potentially strike your neighbors or there property.

I know this is not an answer you were hoping for, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even if the answer is not favorable to the customer.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for the bullets can strike neighbors nor property....they just can hear it. thanks again
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, once the sheriff is aware of the guns being shot on your property, probably because one or more neighbors complained and the sheriff gave you a warning to stop shooting or face charge of disturbing a peace it would a good idea to stop and possibly consider building an indoor target shooting range which can be made sound proof.

Thank you for using and please don't forget to click on the green "ACCEPT" button so I can be properly compensated for my time and efforts.