How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116166
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hola ..quisiera saver q es un petty misdemeanor , y cuales

Customer Question

hola ..quisiera saver que es un petty misdemeanor para un joven que tomo algo de una tienda, y cuales son las consecuensias ? pueden ir a la carsel por esto? tiene un hearing el 13 de febrero la verdad nose que hacer no puedo conseguir un abogado porque no tengo lo rescursos? quisira saver si hay abogados en minesota de bajo costo para la jente pobre?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, i got caught shoplifting. It was a petty offence. I was just wondering what are the consequences. Do i need a lawyer? It was in Minnesota.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was 17 at the age. the totaling of the shoplifting was under $200. It says its a petty offence.
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

Your question is very important to me, but please remember that I can only respond to the information you provide and I do not know your entire situation. My response is limited to what you have written to me and the answer may change with additional facts.

Also, due to site reasons, there are times I am initially only able to see a portion of post, so I apologize in advance if it means that you have to duplicate information.

There may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. Now, let’s address your question!

If this is your first criminal charge, this should be fairly simple. But do not take this lightly. You have been accused of a theft crime and it can cause you problems in getting jobs or even getting into professional or graduate schools.


In most cases, they have a diversion program where you pay the damages, a fine, do community service and take a class and once you have completed all of the requirements without committing another crime, the charges are dropped and all you have is an arrest record.


You really need a lawyer to represent you on this, and if you cannot afford one, you may qualify for a public defender, but your income must be very low.


Since you were 17 you may qualify as a juvenile, however, they may charge you as an adult. You or your attorney can request that you be charged as a juvenile, however, it may mean that you have to spend some time in a juvenile detention center. The good thing about being charged as a juvenile is that your record is sealed. This is something to discuss with your lawyer or public defender.


When you go for your hearing on the 13th, make sure you either have a lawyer with you or your request a public defender. You could call the number on your citation or release papers for the clerk of court and ask now for a public defender.


When you go to court, please dress appropriately. I cannot stress how important this is. Do not wear jeans, t-shirts or revealing clothing or clothing that is tight. Dress as if you are going to a funeral is a good example. You must show respect for the Court.


I wish you the very best.


Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be off line. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Bonuses are gladly accepted. Thank you and good luck!

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
We are sorry that it took so long to get to your question, but sometimes because of the high volume of customers seeking low cost legal information that does happen and we apologize for that delay and had you told the moderator who responded to you asking if you still needed help that you no longer wanted help, we could have closed the question. You did receive a correct answer from a qualified legal expert and if you have additional questions of them, please use the reply button and ask and again please accept our apologies for the delay.

Related Criminal Law Questions