Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

Can I cairy a cane kife to defend myself in CA.?

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

California law specifically prohibits the possession of "cane swords." Cal. Pen. Code, Section 20510. If you're talking about the knives used to cut sugar cane, the law also prohibits carrying a concealed "dirk or dagger." Cal. Pen. Code, Section 21310.

On top of that, it's a misdemeanor to draw or exhibit any deadly weapon in a "rude, angry, or threatening manner" in the presence of another person. Cal. Pen. Code, Section 417. It's also a misdemeanor to carry a deadly weapon with intent to assault someone, Section 17500, or while picketing, Section 17510. And, if you're caught committing any other crime, there is a sentencing enhancement if you have a deadly or dangerous weapon on you at the time.

I hope that helps. Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its not a sword it is a 31/2 in. knife!
That's why I also gave you the statutes that prohibit carrying daggers or concealed weapons, or brandishing it in public. Because there are "cane knives" and "cane swords," and neither is allowed, but there are different statutes.