JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I work at a small graphics shop that is privately owned. The

I work at a small graphics shop that is privately owned. The employer has not provided ANY legal software needed to to produce our goods. The only way to accomplish my job was to download "cracked" software programs. I have written up the software needs of the company and submitted them to my boss in hopes that they would rectify the situation, but they are not interested in spending any money since this is more of a "hobby" second business for them. Several years of working like this, I feel that this is not right and am considering putting in an anonymous tip to report software piracy. It is not very fair that I have actually bought a few of these programs for my own use at home and my employer thinks that he can get away with not buying them. My question concerns my own liability if I do report my employer since I am the one who downloaded the software at work. I don't want to get in trouble, but I'm not sure what to do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Understand, you can be in as just as much trouble (criminally and civilly) as your employer.

You may find it better to simply find a new job and walk away from them.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.