Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

My nephew was stopped in a routine check point, following my

My nephew was stopped in a routine check point, following my son, who was escorting someone home who had been drinking. My son, nor my nephew, do not drink so it seemed the right thing to do. My nephew was to pick up my son after the drop off and escort him home. However, the policeman at the scene, said he smelled marajuana. My nephew assured them that was not the case. However they proceeded with the search, and found nothing. I had earlier asked my son to ask my nephew to drop off a prescription ( i had left it after christmas ) when he came by on Sunday after church as he usually does. it is a three hour drive from my son's house to here and my husband has been recently paralyzed, so the drive is doubly hard. It was my prescription, a mild zanax ( I am in my 60's ) of only 20. Only missing pills would be the one I took while at my son's house. They have charged him with a felony??? We are freaking out. They held him for 24 hours. He has a court date. HELP!!!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.

First and foremost if your nephew did nothing illegal, there is nothing to freak out about. His attorney, either one he has hired already, or the one who will be appointed by the court at his hearing if he cannot afford one, will gather all the evidence and put on his defense based on what you have said. In fact, if the facts are as you have relayed them and your nephew did not illegally use or possess your prescription, then his criminal defense attorney may be able to convince the prosecutor to drop the case altogether.

He should not make any statement about the facts of the case to anyone other than his attorney.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Please let me know if you experience technical difficulties when attempting to ACCEPT my answer by clicking on the green button. That way I can notify customer service.