Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

In Utah my daughter has a protective order against her X. It

Customer Question

In Utah my daughter has a protective order against her X. It identifed a third party for communication re: child visitation as a family member of his. The third party quit. The X refuses to identify a new one.
If she witholds visitation because she has no idea when or where the children are going SHE is in trouble. She felt forced to communicate with him regarding the information and SHE was suggested to be in violation of the protective order.
Is SHE suppose to pay to go back to court to get a new liason appointed?? Can she force him to do so by refusing to provide visitation until he identifies a new liason that can provide information as to where and when the children are going?? He sent the police last night to enforce his visitation and cite her but they were confused and said BOTH were in violation. Her for communicating to ask for information and him for showing up at her house to harass her re the visitation.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, if he has not designated a new third party and the order calls for a third party, then she has the right to withhold visitation. Because HE will not name a new 3rd party, then your daughter has to file for an order to show cause for contempt in the court to get the court to force him to name one and to deny visitation until he does. The fact about her violating the order because she wanted to know who the new third party would be is not really a valid claim by the police, who say things just to not be involved in family disputes as they are not really criminal matters. She does need to file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt and get the matter to court though.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One brief follow up. What if She does NOT file for the order to show cause as he behind in child support and money is tight.

Then he can file to seek to hold her in contempt for denying visitation and she is going to end up spending the money anyhow and may end up having to pay his attorney's fees.