Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
58645016

My 22 year old daughter received three automobile fix-it ticket

My 22 year old daughter received three automobile fix-it ticket 2 years ago all for the same issue. Two were from CA counties and one from a NV county. She totally ignored the tickets, never showed for court appearances so got warrants issued and a large fines sent to her in the mail from each county. She subsequently sold her car and has been without since. She did clear up the NV warrant and fine. The NV one was cleared as she was a passenger in a car that was stopped in NV, led to her arrest and appearance before a judge where he had mercy on her. Now she is a little more mature and wants to clear the other two up, without getting arrested. What would be the proper steps to take for the other two counties?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 4 years ago.
She should contact an attorney in California to clear these up. If they are geographically close counties she should contact one in either of the counties, and they can take care of both.

If the counties are far apart, she made need to contact an attorney in each county. The attorney should be able to take care of the tickets probably without her needing to make an appearance in California and certainly without her having to go to jail.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What would be the non-attorney steps to take. I had already thought of the attorney route, but was hoping there were basic steps that could be taken as an alternative. We live in one of the counties so distance is not an issue and the other isn't too far further.
She could call the court clerk's offices in each of the respective counties and ask them if she can just send in payment for the tickets. Most places this is not possible if you fail to appear because a warrant is issued and only a judge can recall a warrant, however, it may be possible especially in larger cities. No harm in asking though.