Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

I missed my court date and now have to pay bond but I live

I missed my court date and now have to pay bond but I live on my own, barely making my bills, and cannot afford the bond. I don't wanna go to jail or I will lose my house. It's my first offense. Ever. I was emotionally unstable and I would've never shoplifted in other situations. The bond is $450 but I don't have the money, nor can I borrow it. I'm completely on my own. What do I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello! I can definitely assist you with this question.

meigs004 :

Let me read your facts closely so that I may better assist you.

meigs004 :

In the mean time, read my standard blurb about accepting answers here on JA.

meigs004 :

If at anytime you feel that I have adequately provided you with an answer to your question, then if you would please click the accept button so that I may be compensated for my work that would be very much appreciated. Also, bonuses are optional, and are certainly not required, but very much appreciated. Remember, clicking the accept button does not prevent you from asking further questions on this post, and will not preclude me from continuing to answer your questions and provide you with research. There is no Attorney-Client relationship created by our communications and the advice and information that I provide is merely for informational purposes. The advice that I provide is not to be taken over the advice of a competent attorney within your jurisdiction.

Customer:

Okay, thank you.

meigs004 :

Have you spoken to the district attorney about a bond reduction?

meigs004 :

Also, usually if bond is 450 it is only a percentage of that total.

Customer:

No, I'm not even sure where to begin. This is my first time in trouble. It's 10%.

Customer:

The bond is 10%.

Customer:

And I'm not even sure where to begin with any of this. It's my first time ever being in trouble.

Customer:

I apologize,I did not see that it sent the 1st time.

meigs004 :

So the $450 is 10% of what your bond actually is?

meigs004 :

Also, if you speak with the bonding company they will let you put property up to satisfy the bond.

Customer:

Yes. The actual bond was $4,500 but I cannot even afford 450 let alone 4500.

Customer:

What kind of property? I don't own a vechile or my home.

meigs004 :

Different bonding companies take different property bonds. If you are currently out of jail, then you should not have to post bond, I understand you did not appear, but you could also call the clerk's office and explain why you missed your court date and the judge may retract the issuance of the bond.

meigs004 :

Do you have an attorney?

Customer:

No, I do not. I did not plan on contesting the charges. An attorney is more than I can afford. It's been almost 6 months since my missed court date. I've been trying to save the money but my job has recently cut my hours majorly. Would they still understand?

meigs004 :

They might. It is completely up to the judge. Also, you can apply for a court appointed attorney which would be free of charge to you.

Customer:

How would I go about doing that?

meigs004 :

Talk to the clerk's office about an affidavit for indigent counsel.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help and I will try everything that you've advised me to. One last question, when I go to the clerk should I have money for said amount just in case judge does not retract the bond?And if I do not have the money will I have to go to jail?

meigs004 :

I would advise if you could pay the amount when you go, to go ahead and pay it. Also, ask for an affidavit for indigency so that you may be appointed an attorney to represent you in the matter. Appointed attorney's have good relationships with the prosecutors and may be able to ask them to reduce or eliminate the requirement that you pay the bond.

meigs004 :

Please click the accept button if you are satisfied so that I may be compensated for my work.

Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.