JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

I had a person forge my signature to the title of a new trailer

Customer Question

I had a person forge my signature to the title of a new trailer as well she has stolen personal property
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Please clarify: what is your actual question that you'd like assistance with? What information are you seeking from JustAnswer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Michigan State police said I could pursue this in the courts as in sue her so I am looking for some advice as to how to go about it. I ave no idea where she is running these days.
I purchased the trailer new as a dealer and she was going to buy it from me, she asked for a bill of sale in order to register it however she needed the title signed by me. I never received any money from her and never signed the title to the trailer ( $ 15000.00 value ) So she then went and forged my signature to the trailer title and had it registered in her name.
What can I do to either sue her to get my money as I don't know where she is living as she is one step ahead of the law.

Bill
Thank you.

1. When did she move from Michigan?

2. Do you have her last Michigan mailing address?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She moved from Michigan shortly after forging my signature in April 2011 and yes I do have her old Michigan address
Okay. Do you know how to send a letter "address service requested"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure what your meaning is obviously I know how to send a letter what do I put in it.

Bill
You can mail a letter to her at her last known Michigan address. Just tell her that you want the property back by X deadline. Keep a copy for your records.

Here's the important part. One the outside of the envelope, below your return address write the words "ADDRESS SERVICE REQUESTED."

What's going to happen? If she has her mail forwarded to her new address, the post office will forward your letter to her AND the post office will send you back a card with her new address. They'll also have you pay for that card (it's like a dollar or so). At any rate: you will then know where she lives in North Dakota.

Once you have that address, if you want, you can hire an attorney that is local to where she lives in North Dakota and hire that attorney to sue her for you for the return of the property and/or money damages.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have other questions, you can ask me at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-jb-umphrey/. Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the www.justanswer.com homepage.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am being told that I would have to sue her where the crime was committed is this true?
No, that is not true. Further, I assume that she has your property with her in ND.

She can only be criminally prosecuted where the crime was committed.

JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did as you said with the invoice or statement of account sent registered mail and have gotten back a receipt from post office there was no notice of a change of address.

Try and locate a competent law firm in Livonia Michigan that will even
return calls is a challenge. I assume once I find a law firm I then need
to sue her ?

Thanks for checking back in

Bill
If the Michigan State Police looked her up when they were making their report, you may want to get a copy of that police report to see if her ND contact information is listed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been bounced from Michigan state police to North Dakota police who tell me she has to be charged where the crime was committed neither want to take the lead here.
Best if you could recommend a top lawyer in Livonia, Michigan area and I will sue her there as this is where all her mail goes and I have no reason to believe different. Nothing has ever been returned.

My gut feeling is she figures I will not pursue her in a court of law.
I cannot recommend an attorney (against site rules). However, the Livonia Bar Association lists a number of attorneys, by area of practice, at: http://www.livoniabar.org/find-attorney