RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I am a convicted felon ( indecent liberties wit a minor ) of

Customer Question

I am a convicted felon ( indecent liberties wit a minor ) of over 15 years. I was convicted in 1997 in Gaston county courthouse in Gastonia N.C. I have never had possesion of a firearm, and was wondering if there was any way that i could own one. I am potitioning the court now to remove me from the sex offenders registry. I have been a model citizen sinse 1996. Thank you. Robert Wayland.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, if you require additional information, press "REPLY" and I will be happy to assist you further.

It's possible, however, it is very difficult to do so and there is a long waiting period. NC law states in part:

A person who was convicted of a nonviolent felony in North Carolina but whose civil rights have been restored pursuant to Chapter 13 of the General Statutes for a period of at least 20 years may petition the district court in the district where the person resides to restore the person's firearms rights pursuant to this section.

The term nonviolent felony does not include any felony that is a Class A, Class B1, or Class B2 felony. Also, the term nonviolent felony does not include any Class C through Class I felony that is one of the following:

a. An offense that includes assault as an essential element of the offense.

b. An offense that includes the possession or use of a firearm or other deadly weapon as an essential or nonessential element of the offense, or the offender was in possession of a firearm or other deadly weapon at the time of the commission of the offense.

c. An offense for which the offender was armed with or used a firearm or other deadly weapon.

d. An offense for which the offender must register under Article 27A of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes (sex offender registration).

So, you would first have to get off the sex offender registry, then petition to have your civil rights restored. Then, assuming your civil rights were restored, after 20 years, you could petition to own a firearm again.

*****************************************************************************************************

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR" SERVICE. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code and pay me as you would any other professional.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case.

Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not recieved an answer to my question.

You didn't receive an answer to your original question? Because I answered it and it shows you having accepted it. There must be a glitch in the system. Here it is again: