Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I am currently going to court on a DUS. I paid my reinstatment

Customer Question

I am currently going to court on a DUS. I paid my reinstatment fees in a small town in ND the money was never sent to the man office and the lady that took my money is no longer with DOT and no one can get ahold of her. She gave me a little receipt (like the ones you get from staples) but I can find it and I paid cash. I have a witness that went with me that day. My ex's mother called me in for driving under suspension, after I picked my son up from her house. The vehicle was not mine and it was not registered to me I drove a friend down to Bismrck that day to have their wisdom teeth pulled and it was his vehicle. The officer pulled behind the vehicle and turned his lights on his exact words were " I received an unanymous call through disptach saying that you were driving wth a suspended license" I handed him my MT license when he came back to the window he told me my ND license was under suspension. he asked if i was aware of this I said no. The caller remained anonymous to dispatch from septemeber 2011 to January 2012 and now all of a sudden a officer ( not the officer that stopped me) seen a report with my name on it and is good friends with my ex's mom went to her house and convinced her to testify against me. There are some shady items in this story just curious what kind of a defense I could have
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You need to have your attorney subpoena the complaint logs and tapes from dispatch from the date of the stop, which would show whether or not any such call was received. This call would be the probable cause for the stop. If the records do not show any such call was received, this destroys the probable cause for the traffic stop which is grounds to challenge the stop as invalid and have the charge dismissed.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”