Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

If a criminal case has three charges as follows........... Case

If a criminal case has three charges as follows...........

Case # XXXXX
001: BURGLARY - (felony)
002: CRIMINAL MISCHIEF - (misdemeanor)
003: DRIVING ON SUSPENDED LICENSE - (misdemeanor)

Disposition: 7/1/2009
001: DISMISSED
002: GUILTY; 2 YEARS PROBATION
003: DISMISSED

Since a FELONY is the highest charge and still part of the case would this still be considered a FELONY case even though the Felony charge was dismissed?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
No, since the felony charge was dismissed it is only a misdemeanor conviction. What counts is your convictions, dismissed charges do not count.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay -

I do understand that it is only a misdemeanor conviction but would the case in-whole be labeled as a FELONY case since the highest level charge was in fact a Felony?

In other words when I have to pick a Case Type for this case based on the following format, what would I pick?

CASE TYPE: __________________ (must enter EITHER Felony or Misdemeanor)

It is a misdemeanor type case, the felony no longer exists as it was dismissed.