JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I was stopped by a city patrol and he checked my window tint

Customer Question

I was stopped by a city patrol and he checked my window tint with a meter and stated that it was excessive. I bought this car (2010 maxima from a local dealership last year) The certification sticker on the windows state that they are with legal tint. I have asked for a jury trial. Any suggestions for me as to help my case? I live in SC
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Have you taken your car to another window tint shop to have it measured?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - They stated that they get their tint from a manufacturer in Texas and it's certified as what is on the box. (Legal) This is the same method that the person that applied the tint to my windows uses when applying tint.

I forgot to tell you that I had just been stopped by highway patrol trooper a few weeks earlier. He pulled me just to check my tint but when he saw the certification stickers on my windows were legal he ok'ed this and let me go. No written information was given to me on his approval.

Thank you. Then you should have the person who applied the tint, and the person at the second shop, to go to court with you on your trial and testify to what you've just shared here.

Their testimony is your defense to overcome the officer's testimony.

You will have to have them in court to testify. They just can't write anything. They'll have to be in court at your trial.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do SC Highway Patrol troopers and SC city police have different ways to check tint? One just looks at certification sticker and one checks with a meter
Not all officers have a meter in their patrol unit to check. Yes, departments can have different practices. One trusts the sticker to be accurate and truthful. However, some folks also display stolen or improper stickers and that's why some departments are now using their own meters.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If tint needs to be removed, would it be the responsibility of the car dealership that sold me the car
From the facts that you've described, yes, it would be their responsibility. They represented something to you that was not true.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would city patrol be held accountable for not following procedures for checking tint properly according to the tint meter training? Such as cleaning the glass first
The city patrol would not be held responsible for the manner in which they did the testing. The answer to that question is "no."