Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I was confronted inside a store about shoplifted, asked to

Customer Question

I was confronted inside a store about shoplifted, asked to go to an office inside the store, the police were called, I was handcuffed, processed in the county jail, released and told to show up in rights were never read to me, I was instructed by a judge to pay a fine plus court costs and the store said if I ever go on their property again they will have me arrested. Is it possible some procedures were done incorrectly, enough so that I could have my record cleared?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, it does not seem as if there are any violations. Rights may be read. The purpose of the Rights is so the Offender is aware that if they say anything about the crime, it can be used against them.

In your case, they already had the evidence. But should they have tried to introduce anything you said to the police after your arrest that could have been argued as inadmissible, because you were not read your rights.

.If you have further questions, you may post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a JA Subscription, Please ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I get credit for my time and information. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Refund deposit