Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

A nieghbor of my spouse and I was arrested last year for alledgedly

A nieghbor of my spouse and I was arrested last year for alledgedly making "hate crime"calls to other neighbors, including one that involved a child. Local FBI showed up at our door today asking if we know whether said neighbor lived with anyone at the particular time. We both reported no. FBI agent indicatd trial will start Mon and that we may be asked to state this in court. Here is the question: Can we be sued by neighbor in any way for this response, which to our knowledge iis accuate. The issue her , as published in the paper, is that neighbor alledgedly used a voice disguisiing compute r to mke these call threatening people including thelife of achild.

No, the neighbor cannot sue you for your statements. First, as I understand it, you are being asked nothing other than whether the neighbor resides alone. As to that, you are answering truthfully and stating that you have no knowledge of anyone else residing there. Second, courtroom testimony is generally exempt from any type of lawsuit. In short, there is no reason to be concerned here.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.