How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 12323
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do police have the right to come onto a public school campus

Customer Question

Do police have the right to come onto a public school campus and interview minor students as a part of an investigation they are conducting?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. I am an attorney licensed and practicing law in California. The answer is "yes". The police can interview the minor students. The police do not have to offer the minors an attorney or access to their parents, nor do the police have to notify the parents that the interview is taking place. Although it probably seems counter-intuitive, the children are essentially awarded no extra rights or protections that an adult has in the same circumstance. The child may refuse to be interviewed, but most children are not sophisticated enough to make a refusal of that nature (just like most adults). I would advise anyone to instruct their children in their right to refuse to be interviewed, but it can be legal.



I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers; even where I cannot solve every problem in a case, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be. Thank you.

Related Criminal Law Questions