Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney

Do police have the right to come onto a public school campus

Customer Question

Do police have the right to come onto a public school campus and interview minor students as a part of an investigation they are conducting?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. I am an attorney licensed and practicing law in California. The answer is "yes". The police can interview the minor students. The police do not have to offer the minors an attorney or access to their parents, nor do the police have to notify the parents that the interview is taking place. Although it probably seems counter-intuitive, the children are essentially awarded no extra rights or protections that an adult has in the same circumstance. The child may refuse to be interviewed, but most children are not sophisticated enough to make a refusal of that nature (just like most adults). I would advise anyone to instruct their children in their right to refuse to be interviewed, but it can be legal.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers; even where I cannot solve every problem in a case, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be. Thank you.