JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

What does "Awaiting Disposition" and referred to "family relations

What does "Awaiting Disposition" and referred to "family relations officer" mean? It is written on the status of my boyfriends case in domestic violation charges? He is currently in jail but not sentenced.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Has your boyfriend plead guilty to the charge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No he has plead not guilty and i am not sure why....I am going to meet with the DA and prosecutor on thursday to ask for the order to be modified. He has struggled with drugs and the reason the first one(protective order) was put on bc we had a fight and i was mad he left rehab, they charged him dec 8th with a disorderly conduct and i thought i would be able to get him a court ordered rehab but they just put a cohabitant protective order. But on Dec 22he hit me and someone called the police he was on PCP and I am sure other things. I am not a drug addict and i struggled with accepting it. So from the begining i have been trying to get him into the court orderered rehab which clearly that is not the intention of the law so he is also charged with breaking a protective order...but I AM wondering why it says this as his activity. His court date is feb 14th...
Awaiting disposition means that the case is waiting for him to plead or for a trial to be conducted. The case is in "pending" status.

In the meantime, the judge is ordered that the family relations officer do an assessment to get an idea of what's going on with him and what the household problems are. If he can get into some programs while he's in custody on the charges, the assessment is the step in that direction.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a chance that since the violation of the protective order was done within two weeks of the first one put on, and while under the influence is there a better chance of less jail time in CT or a rehab? We never even went to court from the first one. I wanted him to get help, and obviously now that he is clear headed he realized how bad it was. Although i can not have contact I do want it and what to help him in his recovery. He has been able to send messages threw people etc...to me and he wants help. He unfortunately has a criminal background from before meeting me, which was definetly crimes from drug abuse before but never addressed. Would this affect him? Does the judge asking for the family relations officer a good thing or bad?
The judge's asking for the family relations officer to assess him is a good thing.

There's no way to speculate what the judge will do on jail. Each judge is different and each case is assessed individually.