Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

Can you get a liquor license in the state of Michigan if you

Customer Question

Can you get a liquor license in the state of Michigan if you have gotten a misdemeanor dui, no prior convictions? DUI was reduced to driving while impaired.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello! I can definitely research and help you with this question.

meigs004 :

So the only conviction on your record is driving while impaired?

meigs004 :

a misdemeanor?

Customer:

Yes sir...

meigs004 :

Ok. Thank you for that information. Allow me to post a my standard blurb about accepting answers here on JA, and then I will address your question specifically.

Customer:

Thank you

meigs004 :

If at anytime you feel that I have adequately provided you with an answer to your question, then if you would please click the accept button so that I may be compensated for my work that would be very much appreciated. Also, bonuses are optional, and are certainly not required, but very much appreciated. Remember, clicking the accept button does not prevent you from asking further questions on this post, and will not preclude me from continuing to answer your questions and provide you with research.

meigs004 :

Are you looking to open a business?

Customer:

New to this site, thanks for the instructional guidance.

Customer:

Yes, I am looking to open up a bar possibly this year.

meigs004 :

Ok. Thank you for that information. Give me one moment to research the effect of a misdemeanor on the ability to obtain a liquor license in the state of Michigan.

meigs004 :

As you know, the Michigan Liquor Control Commission recieves and investigates applications for liquor licenses. It requires that you submit fingerprints with the application for background check purposes.

Customer:

Just not sure what I will run into with this misdemeanor. The bar will be located in Detroit.

Customer:

I see...

Customer:

FYI - I hold a CCW for my protection. That has not been taken from me as I have no prior felonies.

meigs004 :

Ok I have found the answer to your question.

meigs004 :

A prior conviction record is not an automatic impediment to obtaining a liquor license. When applying for a license an individual should truthfully disclose all prior arrest and conviction information on the application forms. The individual will also be asked to divulge this information to an investigator from the Commission and may be asked to divulge this information at the local level. Each application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Commission. The seriousness of the offenses committed, ones that involve the misuse of alcohol and violence as well as the total record of the applicant, are some of the specifics the Commission will take into consideration when making a determination as to suitability for licensure. R(NNN) NNN-NNNN2)(g)

meigs004 :

This provision (436.1105(2)(g)) governs your situation.

meigs004 :

It provides that each application is reviewed on a case by case basis.

meigs004 :

Does this answer your question?

Customer:

Indeed it does... The speed at which you were able to find this provision is really quite amazing. Faster then my own personal attorney I might image.

Customer:

Thank you very much!

meigs004 :

Well thank you. If you are satisfied please click the accept button so that I may be compensated.

meigs004 :

Good Luck!

Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.