Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

Hello, I have a question regarding the issue of statutory rape

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question regarding the issue of statutory rape and statute of limitations in the state of Il. Here's the story: In 2004, a 33 y/o man bagan a relationship w a 17 y/o girl (statutory rape) he convinced her to keep it a secret. Five years later in 2009 they got married and he became increasingly emotionally, verbally and phisically violent. January 2010 a Order of Protection was issued to him. They have been separated since then and the girl is in the process of divorcing him. She would like to pursue legal action toward the issue of statuatory rape. So the question is, is she still within the time frame to prosecute in Illinois. We are not clear about the law of staute of limitations for statutory rape. Please infom us as to what actions to take. We are very grateful for your time and attention to this matter. Thank you for your help.
Ms. Y
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

Samuel-II :

Samuel-II :

The statute of limitations is 10 years from the age of 18, regardless of when this occured. Therefore, it appears she has until age 27 to have criminal charges filed. The statute of limitations would expire in 2014. I suggest she will want to consult with your local District Attorney to dicuss this in more detail.

Samuel-II :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a JA Subscription, Please ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I get credit for my time and information. Thank you