xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work

I recieved two letters from the Bureau of criminal information

I recieved two letters from the Bureau of criminal information and analysis stating that I did not have to register as a sex offender re Rodden (6-29-10) on November 12, 2010 and as December 23, 2011 I recieved a letter syaing I do...now I was convicted of criminal sexual conduct third degree in June of 1994 and I served my entire sentence of 15 years and dicharged off my sentence and was never on probation or parole and this took place in the state of Michigan, so I came to Caifornia on July 30, 2007 after my discharge. How do I have to register under megans law when my conviction via plea bargin took place before megans law went into effect?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Did you register in California when you moved?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I did, but the authorties did not understand why since I discharged off my sentece.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 2 years ago.
The answer to your question is YES. You do have to register.

Below please find a link to the Michigan State Police and the answer to the question "who has to register?"
http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/PSOR_FAQ.aspx#15

So long as you were committed to jail or prison, you had to register in Michigan. Pay special attention to the second bullet point.

Once you were discharged in Michigan, when you moved to California, you also had the responsibility to register. California law states that if a sex offender was convicted in another state, he or she is very likely to be required to register in California, and should register in accordance with the sex offender registration law. If the offender is not required to register in California, the Department of Justice will notify him or her of that assessment and terminate the registration.

I wish that I could have provided you with an answer that was more favorable to you. But, the law is clear.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have follow up questions, please ask. If you are satisfied with the answer, PLEASE PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this registration for life?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 2 years ago.
You were discharged because you served your sentence. However, because you served jail/prison time, or even if you had been put on probation or parole, you are still required to register.

Moreover, in California, sex offenders who successfully complete probation may apply to have the offense dismissed under Penal Code section 1203.4, but dismissal does not relieve the person from the duty to register as a sex offender. Penal Code section 290(a)(2)(F).

xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience: Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work