CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

My friend needs to face severe consequences for drunk driving.

My friend needs to face severe consequences for drunk driving. He's only been caught once, but he does it ALL THE TIME! He's going to kill someone some day. Will a letter from me to the D.A. be of any help and can I remain anonymous?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

I certainly understand your concern. A letter to the DA will not do anything. The police need to catch him in the act. If you know he is drunk and operating a motor vehicle, you can contact the police and they can observe his driving pattern and/or determine if there is probable cause to stop the vehicle and conduct a DUI investigation. You can make the tip but need to be specific when you do, regarding the vehicle make, model, etc. Thank you. If you do not have any other questions, please click the accept button,so I can get credit for my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He was arrested two days ago. The Highway Patrolman said he hit the side of a mountain and almost hit to bicyclists. I thought a letter to the D.A. with more information may keep him from offering a plea bargain. He was arrested on a DUI about 9 months ago and they bargained down to dry reckless. I'd hate to see that happen again, it didn't deter him one bit.

If he was arrested 9 months ago for another DUI, they are not going to amend the charge again and he will likely face a DUI conviction and probation, possible jail, plus treatment, fines and court costs. Considering the facts which you stated are severe and you have a police officer to testify to the same, the DA will have enough information to seek a harsher sentence.